A Bed time routine is very important for baby and mama! Below are some tips and tricks that work for us.
Routine for baby: This week I had to miss bedtime one night for a work event and I realized how much I LOVE our bedtime routine and wanted to share it! Establishing a bed time routine helped Landon sleep better. As much as I say I do it for him… I do it for myself! I am addicted to rocking that baby to sleep every night and a routine makes it enjoyable for both of us. Here is my routine – comment below, what’s yours?!?
- Warm bath
- My son has dry skin – we bath him at night but only use soap every other night
- Lotion massage
- The first book varies but we always end with ‘Brown Bear, Brown bear, what do you see”. He relaxes because each page is so repetitive
- He usually picks his own books!
- Same 3 songs each and every night – he knows when he hears Baa Baa Black sheep’ he should be winding down
- Sleepy time
** Little ritual? After the last song I silently recall my favorite memory with Landon that day. Even if it was just a silly song we just sang in the bath I love thinking about something I enjoyed doing with Landon that day… ah the feels!
Routine for Mama: Now that your baby is sleeping what about MAMA!? If you are anything like me you have 1,000 thoughts going through your head. I have a meeting tomorrow, am I prepared? Did I put the laundry away? Is the garage door closed? You name it, I am thinking about it after a long day. Below are some methods I use to help me drift off:
- Absolutely no caffeine past noon
- Calculate your REM cycle!
- You shouldn’t wake up in the middle of your REM cycle. This website calculates the best time to wake up based on when you go to bed!!! http://sleepyti.me/
- I write my to do list for the next day 1 hour before I go to bed – that way I have time to think about it and let it go
- Keep the room cool
- National Sleeep Foundation recommends 60-67 degrees
- I snuggle lots of blankets!
- Warm shower right before you snooze
- Lavender Lavender Lavender!!!!
- The scent promotes relaxation and rest
- I add a few drops of essential oil to my wrists/ bottom of feet before I lay down
- Awesome brand my friend sells: http://mydoterra.com/jessicamgiles
What helps you sleep? How much is enough for you? I need 7-8 hours to function!!