Book Club are something I have always wanted to start! I needed the motivation; and one night at a business dinner I got it!
I was sitting at dinner with executives and the topic of recently read books entered the conversation. I panicked. I work full time, have a toddler, am 26 weeks pregnant and these women expect me to read!?! I barely have time to keep up with Game of Thrones (but you know I do!). One of the women mentioned her last book was read because of her book club and I was hooked on the idea as soon as I heard it!
I am part of a local moms group so the group I wanted to invite to a book club was a no brainer. I figured I was reaching out to a great target group – women who were moms who would, like me, probably appreciate a night out. So I reached out and gained some potential members.
What book should be our first book club choice? This was difficult. I wanted this to be fun (or I feared no one would come) so I had to pick a book that was light and not boring. ‘Me Before You” was a best seller and had just come out as a movie so I figured that was an easy read that my fellow busy moms could get through quickly. It was a tear jerker but overall I enjoyed the read:
Me Before You: A Novel (Movie Tie-In)
Were there rules? I think the word ‘rules’ has a formality to it that I didn’t like for something like a book club. So I started to search for suggested questions and guidelines (see? That sounds softer) and compiled a list in case the conversation didn’t flow naturally.
What food do I prepare? We met on a Friday at 6:00 so I knew people would be hungry but not necessarily a dinner. I wanted appetizers that were a mix of sweet and savory. Here is what I prepared (besides wine!)
- Baked breaded Ravioli
- 1 TSP dried basil
- 2 TBSP Parmesan Cheese
- 1 (25 package of cheese ravioli
- Cooking spray
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Place a wire rack on a baking sheet.
- Beat together the egg white and water in a small bowl. Mix bread crumbs, oregano, basil, and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl.
- Dip each ravioli in the beaten egg, and then roll in the bread crumb mixture. Spray both sides of breaded ravioli with cooking spray; place on the wire rack.
- Bake breaded ravioli in preheated oven until golden brown and crispy, 15 to 25 minutes.
- Chopped veggies
- Easy! Chop up your favorite vegetables and chop off the top of a green pepper and use that to store your favorite dressing
- Caprese sticks
- 1 Package of grape tomatoes
- Mozzarella balls
- Fresh basil leaves
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 TBSP Vinegar
- Place 1 tomatoes, 1 mozzarella ball and 1 basil leaf on each toothpick
- Mix together olive oil and vinegar
- Pour mixture over toothpicks – served best chilled
- Sweet fruit dip
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese
- 1 Cup of Cool Whip
- ½ Cup powdered sugar
- Vanilla wafers
- Mix together the cream cheese, cool whip and powdered sugar
- Cut up strawberries or another favorite fruit and any other dippers
- Serve chilled
- Baked brie!
How did it go? Our conversation totally flowed naturally so I didn’t need to use my guidelines. I had never read on a Kindle but someone brought theirs and showed me that my ear of “but I look at a computer screen all day” should be ignored; there is no light like a computer has so it is way easier on the eyes!
All-New Kindle E-reader - Black, 6" Glare-Free Touchscreen Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers
Moving forward we will meet once a month and I am excited to join a dinner conversation and discuss recent books I have read! Who else has a Book Club and what did I miss?
Want to win a copy of the book we read ‘Me Before You’ by Jojo Moyers? Subscribe to my blog! Winner will be randomly selected from list of subscribers and announced on 8.20.16!
Till next time,